Monday, April 23, 2007

flying lesson - nice weather and the da-20

The weather was so good and my instructor had 8am openings for Sat and Sun
so I flew twice this past weekend. On the Sun lesson though I decided
that I wanted to contrast the 172 with the DA-20 so I reserved one
for Sun. I had flown that for my discovery flight but I had forgotten
how different many aspects of it are. If you haven't flown a Diamond
(and if you're interested) some of the differences are:

  • pre-flight is noticeably different (I definitely needed help from my instructor)
  • fuel is in a single tank behind the cockpit (so half the fuel and no left/right/both selector)
  • trim is on the stick and the selection indicator is a set of LEDs that show gross movements only, I kept hitting the trim to get the indicator to move for a while before I realized that the trim was actually moving each time I hit the switch even though
    the LED was not changing
  • rotate and best climb airspeeds different
  • has a fuel pump that is on for the entire flight
  • has a stick rather than a yoke which really doesn't make any difference (originally I thought it would)
  • no steerable nose wheel and I did a bad job of steering using the brakes, it required much more finesse than I expected and the brakes didn't seem to have much travel
  • I tried to get familiar with the DA-20 checklists Sun night but didn't do a good enough job on it in advance
  • low wing and canopy definitely make a difference in the in-flight view
  • gauges are in a different position (on the right) and harder to see quickly
  • radios are different and I fumbled with them each time I had to tune
  • gps also displays other traffic which is neat but the practice area was busy and it was a little distracting
  • cockpit definitely a bit tighter and it would be difficult to reach anything you've stored behind you while in flight


  • All in all it was very interesting to contrast them but I'm happy with the 172.

    No comments: