Sunday, July 22, 2007

ms flight sim x and trackir pro headtracker

I recently bought the TrackIR Pro (http://www.naturalpoint.com/) head movement tracker for use with MS Flight Sim X. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far but it does take a little getting used to. It does allow more natural head movement (leaning in and down to see light switches for example) for some things. In general, I would recommend it but I have the wrong headset for use with it (a Logitech behind the ears style) so I'm going to need to get a new one.

There's a very good review with excellent details at:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0207/TrackClip/TrackClip.htm

2 comments:

Ex Gravel Cruncher said...

Awesome. Glad to see that you like it. Does it make practicing pattern work and ground reference maneuvers more natural to do on the sim?

flyaway said...

It's certainly not perfect but it does make things that involve turns (like being in the pattern) and general scanning for traffic more realistic. The bigger the monitor the better though, I have a 17inch and I'd like to get a (much) larger one. However, a strong light source (daylight behind me through a window yesterday) definitely threw it off. You also have to get used to not moving your head around so much unless you intend to pan. Leaning in/out/up/down all produced the correct view though.