Sunday, July 15, 2007

16 year olds flying 737s in aus...

So I tried the MS Flight Sim X multiplayer mode tonight. It was very impressive. While I was waiting to fly another user asked if I wanted to fly with him/her. I said sure so I got to ride along (share mode) in a 737 night flying (ILS) from one Australian airport to another and back again. The other user showed me how to setup the GPS and so on and let me fly for a little while. After we got back s/he said they were a 16 year and and wanted to learn to fly someday. Here I am (slowly) working on the 172 and this kid was so far beyond me there wasn't even a comparison.

4 comments:

Ex Gravel Cruncher said...

Yeah real world experience does wonders for you. I found the most amazing airport in Flight Sim X. There's a runway in Nepal close to Mount Everest called Lukla. I would suggest getting the World Terrain Mesh from FSGenesis if you want to fly in the Himalayas. I first saw this airport of FSX about 4 months ago. When I was approaching this runway for the first time I saw it I thought... No way. This can't be real. It was a strip at elevation 10,000 ft on the side of a mountain. I looked it up on the internet and it is real. I attempted a landing there in a Bonanza twin engine. I came in too fast and wiped out. I tried a couple of other times and wiped out. Then I figured out a trick to landing there. But after taking flying lessons I went back and tried it again. I did a very nice landing there using my new skills. Go ahead and give it a try. Let me know how you do ;)

Helbnt said...

How accurate do you find the flight sim compared to real world flying? Do you have a special joystick setup for it? Or do you just use the mouse/keyboard?

flyaway said...

I have a CH products yoke and Saitek rudder pedals. They add pretty decent realism. You don't get the feedback feel however but FSX itself is definitely worth it for the experience and the yoke/rudder pedals are a nice addon. I'm completely impressed with how extensive FSX is in many ways.

k said...

Ah, to be growing up in the video-game era... Someone should do a study to see whether kids who have "trained" like this have an easier time with real-world training, develop different habits, take to new cockpits more easily, etc.