Sunday, March 22, 2009

xc in a Citabria


I need to accumulate some xc (cross country, meaning flying to an airport at least 50 miles from your start point) time so I decided to combine a tailwheel lesson with a little xc yesterday. We flew from KVKX (Potomac Friendly airport, Maryland) to KXSA (Tappannock Essex, Virginia). This flight was a little more challenging for me because I was flying by pilotage (flying to visual references and timing each leg instead of using GPS and/or VOR navigation). If you're not familiar with the area (I wasn't) it can be a little more challenging to pick landmarks that you can definitely identify. I used the wrong bend in a river on the way out and was a pretty good ways right of course for a while. I'm also still not used to flying by compass rather than a heading indicator. I've gotten lazy with a HI in that you can see the entire compass and not have to do any mental math to determine course angles. With a plain old whiskey compass all you see is the number in front and it lazes around some at times too. The flight went ok (I could have done a number of things better) and was very entertaining. I also got the opportunity to get a picture of the plane after I got back when another student took it out. This plane (and the tailwheel endorsement in general) is a lot of fun and I definitely recommend anyone interested to give it a try.

No comments: