Tuesday, March 31, 2009

instrument conditions and a Gaithersburg, MD chute deployment

My previous blog post had to do with weather conditions and an elective flight that might have been. I recently read about an accident (no loss of life though) at the Gaithersburg, MD airport where a low time pilot deployed the parachute on his Cirrus. When I first read the report I remember thinking that he took a big risk flying in those conditions. Aviation Mentor (always an informative source) posted a writeup on his thoughts on that situation at:

http://aviationmentor.blogspot.com/2009/03/chute-first.html

If I had had any doubt I would definitely have not flown. One of my instructors once told me "it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground".

1 comment:

Head in the Clouds said...

Crazy story. There's a writeup on AOPA's site-- with an interview with the pilot. The interview did help me see a little more what he was dealing with... but it was shocking to me to realize that he had only a few fewer hours than I at the time. I would not be comfortable taking off into those conditions-- particularly at an unfamiliar airport, and especially as a single pilot operation. I'm glad he's okay, though.