Saturday, May 26, 2007

instruction expenses and the Wash ADIZ

My new instructor does something differently than my previous one that has a bearing on time spent instructing vs transit I think. Previously, I would depart JYO (inside Washington ADIZ) for the Hoage intersection (outside ADIZ). That requires leaving and re-entering the ADIZ (and the related clearances and ATC contacts). My new instructor has us stay in the ADIZ which has had a few benefits I hadn't realized:
  • inside ATC contact and radar coverage (for safety)
  • less transit time which leaves more time for instruction
  • additional radio traffic (in the background) which I think is beneficial for getting used to it
  • since we don't have to re-enter the ADIZ we can start heading back in when we're ready vs waiting for and new squawk code and ATC approval



No comments: