Friday, July 10, 2009

aviation technology and the human role in it

This report on a near accident on China Airlines Flight 006 in 1985 is a fascinating read in terms of the aviation details combined with aspects of human factors engineering. As pilots (and people in general) become relegated to monitoring roles when technology takes over many activities, the results can be unpredictable when the unexpected happens. The section labeled "2.2 Flightcrew" contains some very interesting observations along that line.
My recent flight to KCHO had an event that made me think of this. I had the autopilot fly the GPS Y RWY 21 approach (to start learning how to do it), as we reached the minimum (1,400 ft), I set it to fly the missed approach and it began the climb to 4,000 ft at 500 fpm. It seemed to pitch unusually high and airspeed started dropping way off. Everything worked fine but afterwards it made me wonder how long it would have taken me to decide to take over if we had been in danger of a stall.

No comments: