Sunday, January 25, 2009

a couple of flights and a question

Last week we flew to Farmville, Va (KFVX) and back. That flight went ok but I wasn't happy with how I flew back into KJYO (note to self, again, don't do another midfield crosswind for the 17 downwind).

Yesterday, I went to an IFR refresher (I'm still working on my instrument rating) at KJYO which was great. I heard something in it that I had never noticed. How many of you have ever noticed the barber pole on the altimeter? How many of you what it is for (I hadn't and didn't).

Today we flew to Hanover, Va (KOFP) which went well. As usual, there was at least one interesting experience. Coming back (KOFP-CSN-JASEN-LUCKE-KJYO) at CSN ATC told us that they had an unidentified target low and close on the same heading. I was the pilot-not-flying and spent the next minute or two looking behind us. I finally got a glimpse of a low wing single engine directly behind and below us and maybe close enough for me to see the pilot. They continued doing this for a while but eventually they began to descend and turned toward the ridge. They got to the ridge and then paralleled it very close at an altitude below the top heading north while we kept a close eye on them.
A bit short of the LUCKE gate we headed east and turned to the 45 for the 17 downwind at the first quarry. All-in-all it was a good day. KOFP is just north of Richmond and is a great stop to make in the area.

No comments: