Friday, May 30, 2008

leaning...

along with just "getting better at everything" one area that i really need to work on is how to lean correctly (and more importantly safely). i have this fear of leaning too much at altitude (4,500 to 5,500 ft) and the engine suddenly stopping (a "bad" thing). i do watch the EGT to make sure it's not too cold/hot but i'm positive that leaning is something i need to do better.
i'm also going to get around to posting some pictures to my flickr gallery of the last couple of xc flights that i've done.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I've never had the experience of the engine stopping when I've leaned. I just make sure that I watch the EGT and rotate the mixture knob slowly. I have overleaned and gotten the engine to run rough for a few seconds. That is a little scary. I just need to remember to change the mixture when I change power settings, say in a climb, and not to lean unless I'm under 75 percent power.