Monday, February 11, 2008

some things i learned on my stage-3 check ride

here are some things i learned on my stage-3 check ride:

  • I was challenged to find a small private grass strip NW of winchester VA called 'AL', i navigated to it perfectly using dead reckoning but we never could see it (which surprised me), before the flight i should have checked google earth so that i would be more familiar with what it looked like, this is a link to a view of it
  • due to the DC ADIZ, at JYO you have to be careful about your transponder code for egress/ingress, i usually squawk the egress code code on the ramp after i start the engine just to be safe, however, the chief flight instructor doing my stage-3 pointed out that doing that might cause aircraft on final with TCAS or TIS equipment to get a warning about traffic close to them, it's probably preferable to squawk 1226 at the run-up or hold short line instead
  • for my simulated engine out demonstration i picked a field that had some hills in it, as we got closer to it i realized it was much more "rolly" than i had thought and was not a good choice, now i know that if you can see hills at 2,500 feet they're going to be a lot higher at 600 feet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

During my checkride I was asked to divert to a tiny grass strip that I had no idea existed. Calculated a heading an time en-route, set off for it... a couple of minutes later the DPE asked if they build runways on mountains. I said not usually. He then said so why am I heading right for one?! The runway was behind the hill, a direct route was not a good idea. Oops. I never did see the strip, he tried showing it to me but I never saw it.

Good luck!