Tuesday, September 25, 2007

night cross country to KTHV (York, Pa) and night flying in general

I did a dual (ie with my instructor) cross country to KTHV (York, Pa) last night. We went via the FDK (Frederick) VOR (a radio navigational aid) and on the return used GPS to the STIL intersection (near Brunswick) and then ingress to JYO using the new(ish) ADIZ JYO notch 1227 transponder code. On egress I got flight following (asked ATC to keep an eye on us). The night sky was perfect, zero wind and absolutely calm with a bright moon. Flying at night is a much more pleasing experience. Other traffic is very visible and the air is very smooth. The THV beacon (the rotating light) was not working (which I could not find in the NOTAM list) which made it a bit harder to find. In fact, had my instructor not been there I would not have been able to find it. The runway lights are not PCL (pilot can turn them off/on via the radio) which adds to the difficulty. Since primary training can be done at night (except for engine out and some maneuvering) I may do a few more night flights (already have the minimum required for night landings).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and being a PC Pilot, decided to make the trip from KTHV to KJYO - nice flight. I'm a novice at this time, so I think I'll bonce back a forth some until I get a bit better (touch down was on runway 17 and I was a little low, made contact *just* past the numbers... ^_^)

I wonder how accurate KJYO is in FS9, I know KTHV was a little off, I live about 20 mins from it. That and satellite photos tell me they *sorta* got it right...