Friday, March 23, 2007

flying lesson - towered airport (first time)

I flew for the first time to KMRB today and had a couple of observations on it if anyone is interested:

* KMRB is a towered National Guard airport (first time for me), a few new radio responses from the tower that I had never heard before
* you do not announce traffic pattern movements since it's towered (and it was hard for me to not say my turns in the pattern since I've been doing it at a non-towered airport for many months now)
* there is no visual glideslope indication there (and I'm used to PAPI)
* there is construction going on on the far end of the runway so there are people/vehicles down there which is unusual to see during touch and gos
* there was a construction vehicle with it's lights on at the far end of the runway (using 26) and I kept thinking it's lights were the glideslope indication
* my usual aircraft was busted so we took another one, it's trim is much more different than my usual, I had to keep fiddling with it

In the future I am going to keep a little camera in my headset bag. If I had done that I would have been able to take a picture of the Yak-18A that took off ahead of me. Here is a little info on what I think I saw:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-18

No comments: